Alan,

Roman's example cited below works. (You can also handle what the specific
archived message was after by separating storage into the WORKING-STORAGE
AND LOCAL-STORAGE sections.) You also don't have to code a RETURNING
phrase on your calls--nothing wrong with doing it, but it isn't required.
You can just pass parameters like any other call. You can also specify
OMMITED for parameters you are not passing--although coding for omitted
parameters is a little cumbersome in a subprogram/subprocedure. It's been
a little while since I wrote one but if I recall correctly, data declared
in a main or outer procedure is available to the sub procedures without
specifying it in the USING phrase. You can find information on all of
this in the ILE COBOL Language Reference and the ILE COBOL Programmer's
Guide. These are available in WDSC/RDi or in the Information Center at:
http://tinyurl.com/y8msc8h for V5R4 or http://tinyurl.com/yajlxnm for
V6R1. You may also find the ILE Concepts manual very helpful V5R4:
http://tinyurl.com/ys9fzl or Version 6.1: http://tinyurl.com/y86pmt5

Michael Quigley