John Part wrote:

From what I remember, you have to load the table in an ascending order when you specify the Ascending keyword.

You cannot use SQL to do this, as this is a working storage variable. Of course if the data is coming from a file into the variable, you can use the Order By phrase to sort the file first.

For AS/400 reference, you may find this website handy:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/index.htm

One minor refinement to get to the COBOL .PDFs more directly:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzahgcobol.htm

And for Robert, AFAIK, the basic SEU problem is that the COBOL SORT verb sorts files rather than values in variables. The above comment that mentions loading the table seems on the mark. If the non-iSeries COBOL book indicates that program variables (tables/arrays) can be sorted with the SORT verb, then it would seem to be a language extension from a particular compiler vendor.

That leads to a question of how the values got put into the working-storage table. If the table wasn't loaded in sequence by CB-Past-Due, then the problem should be examined at that point.

Tom Liotta