Rod,
That limit of 3,000,000 is for a single group item, not the entire working
storage area. I threw together a quick COBOL program to see how big working
storage could get and managed to get to 16,771,000. Going much past that
resulted in the following error in the compiler listing:
CPF6563 40 Program was too large to be created.
A little more digging showed up the following message:
MCH2802 Program larger than limit at instruction number X'0000',
error code X'000A'.
Error code 000A says that "The program requires more than 16776960 bytes of
storage for either the ASF (automatic storage frame) or SSF (static storage
frame)."
Error code 000B for message MCH2802 says that "The program requires more
than 16777216 bytes for all data and instructions."

With your working storage size currently at 7,689,321, it looks like you
have lots more room; depending, of course, on the size of your actual
program code. If you do a DSPPGM on your program, you can get the program
size, static storage size, etc. That should give you an idea on how much
more room you have to grow.
Would it be possible to convert the program to ILE? Looking at the Compiler
Limits in the ILE manual, it shows the limit on a single group item in
working storage is up to 16,711,568, and I was able to define a working
storage of 150,000,000 (10 * 15,000,000) without any problems.
Hope this helps!
Richard