Hi Roman/List,
Found the solution that works for us. We are using an XML style sheet
transformation (XSLT) to accomplish the init= . The java guys
incorporate this with their build script so it's no big manual effort --
COBOL is happy, java is happy, YAY!

Rick Beethe
Manager of Application Development
Computer Research, Inc.
10170 Church Ranch Way, Suite 300
Westminster, CO 80021-6061
303.297.9200 x225
------------------------------
message: 3
date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:46:56 +0200
from: RMiklos@xxxxxx
subject: Re: [COBOL400-L] COBOL and PCML and OUTPUT only fields

Hello Rick,

I had the same problem as you two years ago. In that time we started
build our Front Office, which is a Java web application and we needed
call for the specified tasks our existing COBOL objects. We have soon
found out, that the option INFOSTMF of the command CRTBNDCBL for
generating of the PCML.-interface was not enough good for our needs,
because every time we had to adapt the resulting PCML streamfile
manually,
e.g. the init= ..etc.. and it was very very time wasting. /The other
thing was that our COBOL-oobjects are something special, so the PCML
generated by CRTBNDCBL was not suitable/
Therefore I wrote a PCML-generator which generates the PCML-streamfile
from the COBOL-source.

But If you only need to add the inits to your pcml, you can generate
PCML
with the compiler and then process with a simple program the resulting
stream file replacing all
type="char" by type="char" init =" "
type="zoned" by type="zoned" init="0"
type="packed" by type="packed" init="0"