Hello,

We have a problem that is occurring in our 'sleeper' process.
Basically, this program runs continuously, checking for the existance of
files within the COBOL program. It is currently calling a CL that does
a DSPLNK to check for the existence of a stream file or a library file.
Depending on what it finds, it proceeds to process - whatever. The
problem is that, apparently, there is a limit as to the number of spool
files that gets created from a job. AZnd even though this process is
cleaning up the spool files, as needed, it still aborts at a certain
point.

Option 1 - Ideally, we would like to not create a spoolfile at all, but
list the results of the DSPLNK to a flat file. As far as we know, the
results must go to spool or screen, which is not an option either, since
there is no support staff to moniter screen results. If anyone knows
how to direct DSPLNK command results to a flat file and suppress the
create spool file option when calling this from a COBOL program, that
would be great!!!!

Option 2 - maybe we have not researched methods of displaying both
library and stream files from within a COBOL program - does anyone have
any suggestions here? Of course, creating a spool file needs to be
suppressed or eventually the limit will occur.

Option 3 - We are considering teaching the program to turn itself on and
off - our mastermind is currently researching this option, but this may
be a roundabout way to resolve this issue - I'd like to learn how to
best resolve the spoolfile creation issue or list file to flat file
issue.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated -

Have a great day!

Adrienne McConnon

Vercuity - Parsippany - NJ