From: cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Rosinger
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 2:57 PM
To: cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [COBOL400-L] advice on best technique for processing input parms...

List,

We will be migrating COBOL programs from a VSE/ESA system to i5. Many of our

COBOL programs have optional input parameters that drive the processing. The

way the majority of them handle the parms is that the parms are coded
"in-line" in the JCL. The program defines the system reader device as a
"file". This technique has proven to be the most flexible since it enables
the program to handle 0 to many input parms and keeps "reading" the file
until end-of-file (translated that means when the JCL card containing the
"/*" card is read).

So, I would like opinions as to how best to adapt this type of processing to

the iSeries world. Is there a way to define the system reader device as a
file to the COBOL program which can read in the parameter cards that are
"in-line" in the CL and *know* when to stop (EOF)?

If not, what is the closest method that would require the fewest logic
changes to the existing programs?

Your ideas please. TIA!