cobol400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

  1.  Best way to access QHST programatically (Adrienne McConnon)

I am going to be writing a COBOL program to access/report on job status'
in the QHST file.  Anybody know if there is a better way to do this
besides using the QMHRCVPM API ( receive program message).  I have seen
documentation on the History Utility - but I have not been able to get
that to function - is it a product that needs to be purchased?  Anybody
have a sample or snipit of QHST accessing API's in COBOL?

Adrienne:

There seems to be some confusion about QHST and how APIs might be used. First,
the QHST message queue isn't a program message queue, so QMHRCVPM wouldn't be
appropriate. Instead, for most message queues, you'd use QMHRCVM (receive
NON-program messages).

Unfortunately, the QHST message queue is a special case. You can't normally
receive messages from it. It's restricted in that way.

Also, if you _could_ receive messages from it, you might not want to because
messages aren't kept in the QHST message queue for long in many cases. In some
cases, messages might be there for only fractions of a second. The message data
gets moved to the QHST log physical files automatically at intervals (more or
less) and removed from the message queue.

For general details, see:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/rbam6/systl.htm
or
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V21262A4D

Read that page carefully, especially the later parts that discuss how message
data gets from the message queue to the log files.

Your programming will be far easier once that page is understood. (And your
programming will be _very_ difficult without it!)

Tom Liotta