Adrienne,

In the Information Center 'Unix-type APIs' I found the following which
looks helpful:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/apis/Unixapiex.htm

About one-third the way down is a section titled 'Example in ILE COBOL:
Using the Integrated File System'

HTH,
Michael Quigley
AS/400 Programming Coordinator