Dear COBOL experts,

Is there any equivalent of the following in COBOL, or an easier way to do it
than fooling around with numeric-edited fields?

CustNbr is a 6-digit signed (USAGE IS DISPLAY) field. I want to put the
Customer Number (CustNbr) into message data (MessageData) to pass to the
QMHSNDPM API. If the customer number is 123,and I do the following using
free-format RPG-IV,

    MessageData = %char( CustNbr );

the input is 000123 and the output would be 123 (left-justified and all). The
message looks like Customer Number 123 is not on file.

The only way I know how to do this in COBOL results in
Customer Number       123 is not on file.

Cheers -- Jay

=================================
Jay Sulzmann
AS/400 Senior Programmer/Analyst
AS/400 Certified RPG IV Developer

Hainey Business Systems LLC
8 East Canal Street
Dover, PA  17315

Tel:  717-718-9601 Ext. 231
Fax:  717-292-9474
AIM: bluejay0827
Web: www.hbs-inc.com
Providing E-Business, EDI, AS/400
Development and related services nationwide.