Hi: here it is.
 file-control.
    select thefile assign to DATABASE-thefile
                organization is sequential
                access i sequential
                file-status is fs-thefile.
 data division.
 file section.
  fd  thefile.
  01  named-rec         pic x(16384).
working-storage.
  01 fs-thefile pic xx.

 open output thefile
 if fs-thefile not equal '00'
                display ' file status is '  fs-thefile ' upon open'
 end-if
 perform set-named-rec-value
 if return-code = 0
   write named-rec
        if fs-thefile not equal '00'
                display ' file status is '  fs-thefile ' after write '
        end-if
 end-if
 close thefile

Good luck.
        Domenico Finucci
        Fiditalia S.p.A. via G. Silva, 34 - 20149 Milano
        Sistemi informativi, Tel. + 39 02-43.01.2494
        E-mail: domenico.finucci@xxxxxxxxxxxx