   Ed,

   A copybook can be any source code: working-storage, environment division,
   procedure division, . . . .  If there is source code in a COBOL program
   which will be used in multiple programs, it is often put in a copybook.
    Then any program can include this source by using the copy statement.

   As far as converting copybooks to other formats, I don't think that's what
   you really mean.  Perhaps the function of the copybook can be moved to a
   dynamic program call or static procedure call, but the a copybook is just
   a portion of COBOL source.
   I hope that helps.

   Michael