Whether you decide to rewrite a ton of programs or write some new programs
is up to you.  The Virtual Terminal APIs do allow one program to emulate a
workstation user and so you could use your existing *DSPF based programs
and have them "fed" by a program.  These are not easy APIs to use as they
require a very good knowledge of 5250 data stream, but it can be done.

Using the Virtual Terminal APIs does not stop your COBOL program from
appearing to be an interactive job, it simply eliminates the need for a
physical display device and user to provide the input (which I believe is
what you want).

The APIs can be found in the Information Center under Programming/APIs/APIs
by category/Virtual Terminal

Bruce

                      "Bullerman,Arlene"

                      <abullerman@xxxxxxxx        To:       "COBOL Programming
on the iSeries/AS400" <cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      o.com>                      cc:

                      Sent by:                    Subject:  RE: Local Data Area
question
                      cobol400-l-bounces@x

                      idrange.com

                      06/24/2003 02:49 PM

                      Please respond to

                      COBOL Programming on

                      the iSeries/AS400

Hmmmmm......then I guess I'd better keep trying to win the lottery and get
started on rewriting a ton of programs.