Joe,

FWIW, I agree with you.  If the INDICATORS phrase is not
specified then they are NOT used/accessible when using
the INDARA keyword.  Although I did NOT find it specified
exactly in the Programmers Guide or Reference manual it
seems to imply this in the notes to the example programs.

Check the V5R1 ILE/Cobol Programmers Guide around page
477 in the PDF version (note 7):

<Quote>
The INDICATORS phrase is required to receive indicator values from the
                         --------
workstation display. If you have pressed F5, IN51 is set on.
</Quite>

I must admit that I've never experimented to determine
if this is true.  Maybe if I have time tommorrow.....

Terry