Mike,

go to the printer via My Computer or Control Panel...
right click and choose properties...
look for "Output Type" and use the drop down to select Overlay
or Page Segment.

I have used Overlays to print Purchasing text on the back of all
purchase orders printed.  The text was typed in to MS word and
printed using AFP 300 print driver and uploaded to AS400.

I also have built applications that will print AutoCad Drawings on the fly
along with manufacturing shop orders using these techniques.

You could also use a Page Segment, created with the AFP print
driver.  Typically the Page Segment is a component on a page
such as a Graphic, or a signature for checks etc.

You could also create a text file on the AS400 that you store
your text in... then read it and print it.  This would allow someone
to modify the text without having to go thru regenerating the Overlay.

Jack

Jack Welch                      ARIS, Inc.
welchj@kdsi.net             4116 W. Faidley Ave.
(308) 395-8708              Grand Island, NE 68803