Terry,

Thanks for the reply. I know it is not necessary to define separate
Input and Output areas. I refer to the case that is shown below.

WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
01  HEADER-OUTPUT.
    COPY DDS-HEADER-O   OF PAD0137NW.
01  HEADER-INPUT.
    COPY DDS-HEADER-I   OF PAD0137NW.

In this case, the HEADER record format has  seperate as Input and Output
Areas. What is the need for this?

As you said it is easier to code without seperating the two areas and
also eliminates the need for qualification. But what do you think is the
purpose of seperating the I-O area? I have been blinding doing this from
a long time, but have not understood the reason for seperating the I-O
area, hence the question.

I would be grateful for any inputs on this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Ravi Prasanna A.N.
mailto:ravi.annasagara@wipro.com