Leif,

You are absolutely wondderful.

You said:

===> try to make it smaller :-).
>The last field in your record is not 7 characters long, but shorter.
>You can figure out what the size is from the manual or from a bit
>of thinking.

So what you are saying is that if you have 7 numberic characters assigned with
2 decimal places, that only counts as 5 though? My book that I am using doesnt
tell me that, or at least I cant find it.

>but here you think it is packed decimal. Make that DISPLAY (or >simply omit
>the type. Also the picture is not consistent with the >DDS where you say 7S 0.

You just about solved my problem from your statement up above. I rechecked my
code for the physical file and I was suppose to use Packed Decimal, not Zoned
decimal. My apologies.

>should teach me not to sit at the computer on a Sunday. You did say
>7S 2. But to make it compatible with your COBOL picture
>PIC 9(07)V99, you need to say 9 (= 7 + 2). Or to change the
>picture. Just make up your mind.

I understand what you are saying, I just wish the book would give enough
revalent information, in my opinion, so I could understand it.

So how would you have the RE

0033.00        01  CUSTOMER-TRANSACTION RECORD.
0034.00            05  CT-FIRST-NAME               PIC X(10).
0035.00            05  CT-MIDDLE-INITIAL           PIC X(01).
0036.00            05  CT-LAST-NAME                PIC X(15).
0037.00            05  CT-TRANSACTION-MONTH        PIC X(09).
0038.00            05  CT-TRANSACTION-AMOUNT       PIC 9(07)V99 PACKED-DECIMAL.
0039.00                                                              0040.00
    FD  CUSTOMER-TRANSACTION-REPORT
0041.00                RECORD CONTAINS 80 CHARACTERS.
0042.00                                                              0043.00
    01  PRINT-RECORD-OUT.
0044.00            05                              PIC X(04).
0045.00            05  DL-FIRST-NAME               PIC X(10).
0046.00            05                              PIC X(02).
0047.00            05  DL-LAST-NAME                PIC X(15).
0048.00            05                              PIC X(08).
0049.00            05  DL-TRANSACTION-MONTH        PIC X(09).
0050.00            05                              PIC X(18).
0051.00            05  DL-TRANSACTION-AMOUNT       PIC 9(07).99.
0052.00            05                              PIC X(04).

I know how to use the implied decimal to get one decimail position of it. But
when I attempt the following, it just gives me the MCH1202 error. Any leads?

Where could I might find examples on how to use the PIC effectively? The next
three assigments I am going to be working on are going to require some very
tricky ideas with the PIC. The book I am using just doesnt cut it.

Also, what cobol/400 reference book(s) would you really suggest for me to get
ones that you might use, etc.

And thanks again for pointing out in the right direction of my HUGE mistake.

Thanks,

Eric
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Get 4 DVDs for $.49 cents! plus shipping & processing. Click to join.