Eric,

Using APOST is a personal choice.  I like it because I don't
have to use the shift key (or remap a keyboard) for entering
literals. Plus the fact that I came from a mainframe background
using older compilers and editors that were single-quote
oriented.

The drawback is when you start programming for API's.  All
of the copybooks use double quotes, therefore, when you
compile your program you get a *lot* of warnings :(  This is
probably not a big issue for most COBOL'ers on the AS/400.

Another drawback (sort-of) is when you're embedding text that
is a contraction -- you must remember to double up on the
quote in the contracted word.  It becomes second nature tho''' ;-)

Terry