My previous reply was a little cryptic and wordy, so lets
try some sample code.

Process statement: I have never used quotations, just
apostrophies. The date, time, and timestamp let me use the
date data types in the code.  Compiler takes care of
definitions.  I like the process statement because I don't
have to remember to change the compile options each time I
compile the program.

 PROCESS  TIME DATE DATESTAMP APOST

In working storage the definitions of the date fields are
setup.  The code following the FORMAT DATE is the way the
date will be stored.  In this case the year is 'yy' and the
day is 'ddd' with the separator of '/'.

 Working Storage.
      01  Date-Fields
          05  Ws-Julian-Date  Format Date '%y/%j'.
          05  Ws-Redefined-date redefines Ws-Julian-Date
              10  Ws-Julian-Year  Pic X(02).
              10  Ws-Seperator    Pic X(01).
              10  Ws-Julian-Day   Pic X(03).

Procedure Division.

In the procedure division the move uses the intrinsic
function to translate the date to the julian date.

MOVE FUNCTION CONVERT-DATE-TIME(Date-Field-Name DATE
'@C%y%m%d') to Ws-Julian-Date

The first parm of the CONVERT-DATE-TIME function is the
field being moved.  The second is what is being translated,
DATE TIME or TIMESTAMP.  The third is the format the date
being moved is in.  In this case it states that the century
is represented by a single digit (0 = 1900, 1 = 2000)
followed by a 2 digit each yymmdd.  The receiving field is
the julian date.  once the move has taken place, the
WS-JULIAN-YEAR and WS-JULIAN-DAY are available for use.
 The format expressions are easy to use, and can be found
in tables 5 and 9 of the online code/400 ILE COBOL
REFERENCE.

Table 5 url:
http://localhost:49213/cgi-bin/vahwebx.exe/vahelp/va400/Extract/0/qcodemrm/evfbilsh112.htm#TBLSPECF

Table 9 url: