Mike,

The others on the list are correct.  You have to do a write
to the transaction (display) record specifying the format
you would like displayed.  Then you turn around and do a
read of the file, again specifying the format you have on
the screen.  The read actually displays the file and pauses
the program until the user takes some action (enter,
defined function keys, etc).  Then your program goes on.
 You can force a write to display the data to the screen,
if you want to put an informational message on the
workstation, but don't want info back from the user.  You
have to specify the DDS record level keyword (or compile
equal) FRCDTA in you display file record.  This keyword
will cause the format to be displayed when the write is
done, no read is required.  Great for the window that says
"please wait, processing" or some such thing.

Because most display files have more than one record
format, I usually copy my display file into working storage
with the copy dds command

01  Display-file.
  copy DDS-Record01-I
  Copy DDS-record01-O
  Copy DDS-Record02-I
  copy DDS-Record02-O

What this gives me is a seperate storage area for both the
input and output records so that I can compare what went to
the user to  what came back from them.  It is a lot easier
to determine if they updated anything.  I also use the copy
dds command that gives me the alias name for the fields, so
that I am not limited to 10 characters.

Hope this helps!

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:03:21 -0500  you wrote;

> I am trying to write a simple program with an interface
> to the workstation
> but the "write" in my program seems to be ignored and no
> output is written
> to the screen.....Any ideas what to look for.
>
> Mike

Jim Essinger
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Student Loan Fund of Idaho