Thank you very much.  This information will be very helpful to us.  Thanks for
taking the time to respond!

"Schaefer P. ONeill" <soneill@trak5.com> on 12/31/2001 10:53:48 PM

Please respond to cobol400-l@midrange.com

To:   cobol400-l@midrange.com
cc:    (bcc: Dusty Hansen/UT/FBFS)

Subject:  RE: Converting from CICS (was no subject)

--
I hope this is Helpful & On-Topic ...

We are going live next week with the conversion of 600+ Batch COBOL
programs and 150+ CICS/BMS programs from VSE to AS/400 ILE COBOL.  In
addition, we also converted 3 Major Vendor Financial Applications which
included 1500+ copy books, 400 or so Batch programs and a CICS Screen
Application which supports about 400-450 screen maps.  LOTS OF STUFF.

This project was started in Late June ... Essentially SIX months.

I would like to tell you that we have implemented CICS/400 for the VSE/CICS
programs/applications.  IT SCREAMS ... when we started, we couldn't find
ANYONE who would admit to using this IBM product, but IT IS THE REAL THING.

We did not use and "Code Converters" because the cost and benefit did not
match up.  We did use some PC based tools which allowed us to edit 100+
programs at a time to make "global" changes required for some portions of
the programs.

In general, the MAJOR headache was in the AS/400 implementation of ILE
COBOL.  The reality is that 20+ years of various programmers had brought
numerous "programming styles" to the code base.  ILE expects clean & proper
handling of numeric data fields and MANY changes were needed there.  Fields
initialized with spaces do not default to zeros.  Also COMP is == BINARY in
VSE; but == Packed-Decimal in AS/400.  There is an undocumented compile
option COMPASBIN which will resolve this in converting the code is a problem.

I work for a Consulting company.  And, while we are always looking for
work, I will be happy to impart my advice where I can be of assistance.

Without hesitation, I want to give CICS/400 a big thumbs-up.  Compared to
the VSE box, the AS/400 performs > 10-to-1 better in both batch and
CICS.  In addition, the CICS task shells (for users) along with the control
region show minimal impact on either the iServer-730 or iServer-830.

Good Luck, and please feel free to contact me via this list, the CICS-L
list or via direct email.

Schaefer ONeill
Trak 5, Inc.