From: Nel Dennis <DNel3@OLDMUTUAL.com>
> I have the following problem. We have a Cobol program running on the
Mainframe
> with the following COPYBOOK in the Working Storage Section;
>
> 07      R-CLIENT                PIC S9(9) COMP.
> 07      D-FROM-MTH      PIC S9(4) COMP.
> 07      D-FROM-DD       PIC S9(2) COMP.
>
> We have written some code on the AS/400 which does a call via "ECS" to get
> data from the Mainframe via this COPYBOOK.
>
> I have captured the Copybook on the AS/400 exactly the same as the COPYBOOK
on
> the Mainframe. BUT when I access the data it is different on the
AS/400!! );-

> Should I be defining the fields differently on the AS/400? If so how?

On the IBM 390 mainframe, COMP is by default binary (same as COMP-4).
On the AS/400, COMP is by default packed (same as COMP-3). You have
to choose among the two. If the data is coming from the mainframe, declare
it as COMP-4 on the AS/400.
Instead of COMP-4 and COMP-3, you can also use BINARY and PACKED,
but they have to be the same on both sides.