Dear kelly........
i was seeing some old cobol sources in my company for this which generates
a random no..
to my surprise this was what i got.,.... i dont know who wrote it 10 years
back but this is working fine in production...
maybe it is of some help to u.......

   P-CRTP-ACTLID.
             EXEC SQL
               SELECT
                 ((HOUR(CURRENT TIME) * 3600) +
                 (MINUTE(CURRENT TIME) * 60)  +
                 (SECOND(CURRENT TIME))) * 10000 +
                 (DAYS("2010-01-01") - DAYS(CURRENT DATE)),
                 MICROSECOND(CURRENT TIMESTAMP)
               INTO
                 :W9CRTPACT, :W9CRTPMSEC
               FROM V_PSRLGEN
             END-EXEC.

             MOVE W9CRTPMSEC  TO W9CRTPMSEC-1.

             MOVE W9CRTPMSEC-1 TO W9CRTPMIC.

             IF W9CRTPMIC6 > 5
               ADD 1000000000 TO W9CRTPACT
             END-IF.
      ****   DISPLAY W9CRTPACT.

       P-CRTP-ACTLID-EXIT.
             EXIT.

Santosh.............
age 24 years,,, a mining engineer working on as400 platform for the last 8
months... dont ask me how I got there....
enjoy...

e- mail at :  santoshp@lot.tatasteel.com
ITS, Tata Steel.
Jamshedpur, India.
Tel : 842134 (O) , 200279 (R).

                    Kelly Cookson
                    <kc62301@yahoo.com>        To:     COBOL400-L@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    cobol400-l-admin@mi        Subject:     RANDOM function
with COBOL400?
                    drange.com

                    08/24/01 06:09 AM
                    Please respond to
                    cobol400-l

Newbie question.

I have to generate a list of randomly selected
employees for drug testing.  I was thinking of using
the RANDOM function.  Unless someone has a better
idea! :)

I can't seem to get the RANDOM function coded
properly.  When I code the following line using SEU:

     COMPUTE X = FUNCTION RANDOM.

SEU highlights the line and gives the following error
message:

"ANS COBOL reserved word FUNCTION will be accepted as
a nonreserved word. A period is required before
RANDOM. Line rejected."

I tried coding the variation:

    COMPUTE X = RANDOM.

and got the error message:

"RANDOM not arithmetic expression. Line rejected."

What am I missing here?  How do I use the RANDOM
function in COBOL400?

Thanks in advance.
Kelly