On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM, CRPence wrote:

"For example one could probably create and utilize a space or utilize
independent index support more efficiently than the respective User Space
or User Index support provided via API."

To go beyond your "could probably", I have used Bound Independent Index MI
instructions from RPGLE for just that purpose.