On 2/12/2014 1:55 PM, Jon Paris wrote:
Just a couple of quick comments - why C ? Other than folks writing operating systems is anyone using it that much any more when there's C++?

I think it depends a lot on what one is doing. In my personal case,
it's not a complex enterprise app; more like a simple 'hey, go decode
these fluid data structures and stuff it all into an RPG-compatible DS'.
Classing that up is more overhead than I like to spend. Maybe I'm
being naive in thinking that plain C is easy enough to maintain for this
sort of application.

But then there's my background. I use plain C for programming PIC
micros, so I'm quite comfortable dealing with data structures close to
the metal. Maybe I've got blinders on (against C++) because of that.

As to training the C folks in RPG - we've done a lot of that lately and most of them love it. Just ensure that you ONLY show them free-form and that you keep them well away from SEU. Free-form and RDi only!

I'd love to read a blog on how EMACS programmers get on with RDi. I
assume that vi programmers don't. :-)
--buck