Richard

Yes I agree, the manual mentions using the #pragma mapinc to map the fields but as that is done at compile time it may not work in this situation as I need to set up the in_null_map field of the _RFILE struct at runtime? The first parameter relates to the structure and the second the field so the returned value is the offset to the field within the structure. The structure is for a volatile const char * of varying length (depends on the number of fields in the file) so I know that the one I am testing with is 10 bytes long. That I do know but the rest is simply black art...

I wrote a quick trial using the following code which I thought would set the map but it still fails when I try to update the file??
Unfortunately there is little to no information around about how to set the field, I can see the length of the in_map_null matches the number of fields in the file but that’s as far as I get.

Here is the code I tried to use to set the in_null_map.

data= (char *)&NVI_Buf->NVI;
nvi_set = (char *)&fp->in_null_map;
for(j = 0; j < NVI_Buf->Length_NVI; j++,data++,nvi_set++) {
if(*data == 0xF9)
*nvi_set = __NULL_VALUE;
else
*nvi_set = __NOT_NULL_VALUE;
printf("%.X - %c",*data,*nvi_set);
}
printf("\nin_null_map =");
nvi_set = (char *)&fp->in_null_map;
for(j = 0; j < NVI_Buf->Length_NVI; j++,nvi_set++) {
printf("%.X",*nvi_set);
}

I can see the in_null_map is set to 0xF1 and 0xF0 in the right order (the NVI_Buf is from a journal entry) but it still fails to set the buffer correctly if the messages in the joblog are to be believed?

I am working blind here and IBM is not able to supply me enough information to make this work, I cannot release the entire code due to Confidentiality either..

Chris...

Chris Hird
Director
Shield Advanced Solutions Ltd
http://www.shieldadvanced.ca
1(519) 940-1192

This message, including any attached documents, is intended for the addressees only. It may contain information that is confidential, privileged and/or exempt from disclosure. No rights to privilege or confidentiality have been waived. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please reply to the sender by e-mail and delete or destroy all copies of this message.
Avant d'imprimer ce courriel, pensez à l'environnement.

Ce message, incluant tous les documents joints, est à l'intention des destinataires visés seulement. Il peut contenir des renseignements confidentiels, protégés et/ou ne pouvant pas être divulgués. Aucune renonciation n'est faite quant à sa nature confidentielle et privilégiée. Par conséquent, toute diffusion ou utilisation non autorisée est strictement interdite. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de courriel et en détruire toutes les copies existantes.