Hi Victor,

I believe what you are seeing is a result of the implementation of the ILE
teraspace heap memory manager. At the point of the delete [] call, the
heap memory manager is not calling the operating system to actually free
the memory, but is instead adding the allocated memory to a reuse list. It
is doing this in anticipation that the memory will be reused at a later
point in the application. In general, this provides much better
performance than calling the operating system to allocate and free every
chunk of memory. The algorithm to determine how much memory is in the
reuse list is rather difficult to explain, but for the purposes of your
sample program, a maximum of ten allocations will be kept on the reuse
list. Once the reuse list is 'full' with the ten allocations, each delete
[] will call the operating system to actually free the memory. In all
cases, the memory will always be deallocated when the application ends.

There is no way to modify this behavior of the teraspace heap memory
manager. The specific reuse list algorithm can (and does) change slightly
from release to release.

FWIW, the _C_TS_malloc_info() function can be used to determine the exact
amount of teraspace heap memory allocated at any given point in time. This
may be of use to you in tracking down the memory leak. The documentation
for that function is available at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Frtref%2Fctsmallocinfo.htm

Scott Hanson