Just following up my other message with some code you can use to measure
memory access performance.  It takes one required parameter - the amount of
memory to manipulate, and one optional parameter - a flag indicating whether
to print out the 'touch rate' for every megabyte (by default this is 'on';
specify '0' as the second parm to turn it off.)

Anyway, the program measures three things:

1. How long it takes to perform the malloc().
2. The 'touch rate' per million bytes (optional; on by default).
3. The total time it takes to touch all allocated bytes.

The program uses 'gettimeofday()' in order to get microsecond resolution.

Summarizing the results I get on my V5R2 machine, for 24,000,000 bytes:

malloc() time:  27,392 microseconds
Typical time to touch 1 million bytes BELOW 16MB:  around 225,000
microseconds
Typical time to touch 1 million bytes ABOVE 16MB:  around 3 seconds +
300,000 microseconds

By the way, this affects Java applications as well (try to use byte[] arrays
>16MB.)

Following is the code.  Note that you have to specify the 'teraspace'
options on the C compiler in order to allocate >16MB of contiguous memory.

/*** BEGIN PROGRAM ***/

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/time.h>

void computeTimeDiff(struct timeval *start, struct timeval *finish,
                     struct timeval *difference)
{
    difference->tv_sec = finish->tv_sec - start->tv_sec;
    difference->tv_usec = finish->tv_usec - start->tv_usec;

    while(difference->tv_usec < 0)
    {
        difference->tv_sec--;
        difference->tv_usec += 1000000L;
    }
    return;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    int mem = 0, i = 0, showRate = 1;
    char *p = NULL;
    struct timeval beforeMalloc, afterMalloc, beforeLoop, afterLoop;
    struct timeval mallocDiff, loopDiff;
    struct timeval mbStart, mbCurrent, mbDiff;

    if(argc < 2)
    {
        printf("Usage: %s <memory size>\n", argv[0]);
        exit(1);
    }
    if(argc > 2)   /* Check 'showRate' flag */
    {
        if((argv[2][0] == 'n') || (argv[2][0] == 'N') ||
           (argv[2][0] == '0'))
        {
            showRate = 0;
        }
    }

    mem = atoi(argv[1]);
    if(mem < 1)
    {
        printf("%s: must specify memory size > 0\n", argv[0]);
        exit(1);
    }

    gettimeofday(&beforeMalloc, NULL);
    p = malloc(mem);
    gettimeofday(&afterMalloc, NULL);

    computeTimeDiff(&beforeMalloc, &afterMalloc, &mallocDiff);
    printf("Attempt to malloc '%d' bytes took: %ld sec and %ld us\n",
           mem, mallocDiff.tv_sec, mallocDiff.tv_usec);

    if(p == NULL)
    {
        printf("%s: failed to malloc '%d' byts of memory\n", argv[0], mem);
        exit(1);
    }

    gettimeofday(&beforeLoop, NULL);
    gettimeofday(&mbStart, NULL);
    for(i = 0; i < mem; i++)
    {
        if(showRate && (i >= 1000000) && ((i % 1000000) == 0))
        {
            gettimeofday(&mbCurrent, NULL);
            computeTimeDiff(&mbStart, &mbCurrent, &mbDiff);
            printf("Current offset: %d, rate: %ld s and %ld us\n",
                   i, mbDiff.tv_sec, mbDiff.tv_usec);
            gettimeofday(&mbStart, NULL);
        }
        p[i] = 'x';
    }
    gettimeofday(&afterLoop, NULL);

    computeTimeDiff(&beforeLoop, &afterLoop, &loopDiff);
    printf("Touching '%d' bytes took: %ld sec and %ld us\n",
           mem, loopDiff.tv_sec, loopDiff.tv_usec);

    printf("\nFinished!\n\n");

    return(0);
}

/*** END PROGRAM ***/