Srikanth,

I cant really help you much with the mechanics of threads on the
AS/400.  I've done a LOT of multi-threaded programming, but it has all
been Win32 based.

But I can tell you there is no real difference between a "thread" and a
"worker thread".  It is just how you use them.

You can create a thread for each client connecting to your server.
That thread would then handle everything associated with that client
and basically act like none of the other threads/clients exist.  This
is by far the easiest model.

With "worker threads" or also known as a "thread pool", your server
starts a fixed number of threads.  Then when there is work to be done,
the main thread allocates that work to one of these worker threads.
That thread then handles a unit of work (typically a transaction) for
the client and then passes the socket back to the main thread.  The
worker thread then back into the "available thread pool".

Sort of like the line for tellers at the bank.  There are 5 tellers and
only one door into the lobby.  When you enter the lobby, you get into
line until one of the tellers (worker threads) is available.  The
teller then handles your transaction and you leave and the teller then
goes to the next person in line.  If nobody is in line, they just stand
there waiting.

Bob