I tried this on V5R1 and got the same results.  Looking at the joblog the
only thing that stood out was the mention on activation groups.

So I did the following
CRTCMOD call_c
CRTCMOD dummyc
then
CRTPGM call_c  actgrp(TEST)
CRTPGM dummyc actgrp(test)

the submitted both ways and it worked both times.

since *NEW is the default on the actgroup I would assume that is why the
problem occured.

Why that is the case will have to be answered by someone WAY smarter than
I.

CEE0200    Information             10    05/02/02   11:24:21   QLEAWI
QSYS        *STMT    CALL_C       BDIETZ       *STMT
                                     From module . . . . . . . . :   QLEPM

                                     From procedure  . . . . . . :   Q LE
leBdyEpilog
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   1060

                                     To module . . . . . . . . . : CALL_C

                                     To procedure  . . . . . . . : _C_pep

                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   *N

                                     Message . . . . :   This job is about
to end.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   The job is being
terminated because the job is capable of
                                       having multiple threads and the
application has issued an exit(), abort() or
                                       their equivalent APIs, an exception
has occurred and is not being handled,
                                       or a return from main() has
occurred in a program that runs in a *NEW
                                       Activation Group.

 Bryan Dietz
3X Corporation
614-410-9205

Do you have any ideas as to why this might be occurring and what I can do
about it?  This problem stops any C program from calling another C
program via dynamic call in a multithread capable job.

Regards,
Simon Coulter.