Jeff:

Using the transfer order in this manner is similar to what our clients do
when our BPCS 'pull' add-on is installed.

Is ICP attempting to build up inventory in anticipation of demand? The idea
being to have the quantities necessary to support forecasted demand in-hand
when the demand materializes?

If this is the case let me make a suggestion:
Consider tying the transfer order's (TO) open quantity to the unconsumed
forecast quantity within a forecast horizon. Results in the unconsumed
forecast quantity for the specified period being treated as a demand. As
the unconsumed forecast quantity is "consumed" by customer orders the demand
represented by the TO is reduced by a like amount. Also allows the TO's
order quantity to "float" to reflect new forecast quantities fall inside the
forecast fence.

This approach eliminates the manual maintenance of the transfer order (both
quantity and "ship" date must be maintained). From experience I can tell
you that is a desirable feature - If the organization forgets to manually
reduce the TO's quantity or extend the TO's "ship" date the planned
requirements will remain at a higher than required level thereby reducing
the available to promise quantities.

And I'd urge you to consider multiple TOs - each with different ship dates.

Roy Luce

Direct: 847-540-9635
800-913-PLUS (7587)
Cell: 847-910-0884