Recursive SQL has been available since at least V5.4, as I've been using this functionality to provide exploded BOM downloads to Excel on LPARs since V5.4.

-----Original Message-----
From: BPCS-L [mailto:bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: 16 May 2014 20:16
To: BPCS ERP System
Subject: Re: [BPCS-L] Fully indented bom to excel

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_71/db2/rbafzwhatsnew.htm
What's new for IBM i 7.1
What's new as of April 2011
CONNECT BY for hierarchical queries

I'm guessing 7.1 with an early Technology Refresh (TR) or database group PTF.

~ 4 years ago.
for more details
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_71/db2/rbafzhierquery.htm?lang=en

Prior to that there was a way of recursive queries http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/sqlp/rbafyrecursivequeries.htm
Bill of material was mentioned.

Rob Berendt
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: Bill <brobins3d@xxxxxxxxx>
To: BPCS ERP System <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/16/2014 02:50 PM
Sent by: "BPCS-L" <bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 5/16/2014 11:08 AM, Schemmel, Jason wrote:
SELECT LEVEL, BCHLD, BQREQ
FROM MBML01
START WITH BPROD='Part Number'
CONNECT BY prior BCHLD=BPROD

Wish I had access to an iSeries right now, I'd love to try this out.
I've done a BOM explosion into Excel but had to limit it to around 4
sublevels or so.

Do you know the minimum OS version this applies to?

Bill