This is my installment # 4.

Sometimes I experience a disconnect, where my brain intended to communicate
something, but what ended up on the keyboard had a loss in transmission. I
had a few of those in installment # 2.

I follow up on that, then address the main BPCS menus.

I intended to write that saying 405CD is an antique is insulting, because it
is only a teenager.

405CD may be the second most common version of BPCS out there, because of
SSA-Infor pricing. To upgrade to state-of-art replacement for AS/400 is
microscopic investment, compared to what must be paid SSA-Infor, to get BPCS
on the new version. This means that there are thousands of companies out
there which would like to be on latest BPCS, but are not going to spend the
money, and some day will migrate to some ERP other than BPCS.

I meant to write that if you are a programmer, you first need to learn
AS/400 stuff, then study BPCSDOC SSALOG00.

If you are an end user, not a programmer or other computer services worker,
you first need to learn ERP, then study whatever documentation is needed,
specific to your BPCS duties. There is no such thing as an employee who
does ALL the different BPCS stuff.

Follow up on the menus. I had listed:
BPCS Vanilla menus
BPCS User menus
BPCS Pop up menus
BPCS other
AS/400 menus and tools

I will not at this time go into all of them, since you may not need all of
them.

From the SPLASH, F14 took you to the main vanilla menu. You could have
taken menu options there, to get to main menus for various categories.
Or you could have used the chart at bottom of my installment # 2 ... key in
any of those 3 letter codes like BIL CAP GLD INV ORD PUR SFC etc. to get to
the main menu for that application, assuming your security is setup to grant
you access. Most people security setup to only let them into the
application areas relevant to what they were hired to do.

From the SPLASH, you could also have pressed ENTER key, to get to BPCS User
menus which your security settings give you access to.

From the BPCS vanilla menus, there are 5 commands available.
F1-help gets you to summary of what each of the menu options does
F3-exit back to SPLASH or User menus ... wherever you were before you went
to Vanilla menus
F12-to main Vanilla menu
F14-services = BPCS Pop up menu from BPCS vanilla menu which has NINE
options ... you may wish to look at REMEMBERED KEYS once you are somewhat
familiar with the BPCS screens you will be visiting a lot ... CHANGE
LANGUAGE means you can see stuff in Spanish, French, Chinese, whatever,
assuming your employer has loaded the optional language support. Most
companies have not
F21 - to command line

From the BPCS user menus. There are 7 commands available.
F1-help ... this is one place where this is NO HELP
F3-exit ... go back to whatever got you here ... if that was SPLASH and your
company security is setup competently, it will take you to *SIGNOFF ... if
your company security is not setup competently, this will take you into
AS/400 operating system land, where maybe you ought to key in SIGNOFF then
enter, then sign on again. We have also got a modification, where keying
BPCS at this point, can take us back to the SPLASH.
F7 and F8 are for scrolling, but I find the scroll keys more convenient
F12 takes you from BPCS user menu to list of BPCS user menus available to
you, from how security was setup to give you access to whatever
F13-functions = BPCS pop up menu from BPCS user menus, which has ELEVEN
options. If your company security is setup competently, you probably cannot
get into the last 2 options, until after you have had relevant BPCS
management training.
F14 to main Vanilla menu

On the SPLASH menu, you may notice a string of words up top:
FUNCTIONS UTILITIES EXIT HELP

If you move cursor to one of those words, then press ENTER, you may get into
some extremely geeky stuff (different stuff each word), depending on how
competently security has been setup at your company.
Some of the stuff you may recognize from other trips thro my e-mails so far.
Some of the stuff may refer to BPCS/400 options your company has opted out
of installing.

Al Mac (WOW) = Alister William Macintyre
via WOW WAY.com ISP
2012 April I had a serious PC melt down, from which I am still recovering