In 405 CD (other versions may work differently)
At time of customer order line entry, default price input is "automatically"
Special pricing (if there is any relevant)
If there is no relevant special pricing
(combination customer item date quantity)
Then list price gets used.
But order entry clerical person may over-ride this.

However Gotchas to be aware of:
1. There are infinite opportunities to screw up management of special
price maintenance for several reasons we can go into in more detail if you
wish, and some other people already mentioned some. For example, you can
have multiple combinations on same customer-item- quantity-date-range such
that no-one can figure out which is the correct one to use, including BPCS.
2. Order entry clerical person may over-ride BPCS defaults, human
memory is faulty who did what, audit trails are inadequate to reconstruct
how what price got there.
3. Other people can alter price, after customer order has been entered.
4. If, after order line is entered, there is a change to the order
conditions (such as due date, quantity), which is relevant to the basis for
the pricing, this is not recalculated from special pricing by BPCS, the
humans have to know what to do to get correct price figured out and in
there.
5. If special pricing gets updated, to some new formula, this has ZERO
impact on existing customer order lines, shipments, invoices, etc. already
in the system. Humans need to know what existing stuff need to get the
replacement pricing. For example, when your people adjusted end date on
special pricing, this did NOTHING to orders already in the system. It only
impacts any additional order lines which get entered later.

So basically, unless humans over-ride the data, or modify the software:
* The customer order line gets the pricing WHICH IS IN EFFECT at the
time that the order line is entered;
* Any changes to the order line, or the special pricing, DO NOT change
the price which went in when the line started.
* Invoicing uses the price which is in the order line, not the latest
price from special pricing.
* Because native BPCS does not come with good tools to manage special
pricing, you need to add something.