I think LX is coming out with some new feature to handle stuff like this
(user additional fields). I believe my boss mentioned something from the
last Infor conference about this. I didn't quite understand how you do
all the querying and all.

Failing that, there are tools from vendors like Hawkeye and what not to
show you all the places where various fields get updated.

Another option is to write a trigger against the IIM and that can do
multiple things:
- log who from what program and what job modified that field.
- if someone mucked with the data from INV100 and only your custom program
should modify it then change the record buffer back

Then you could journal the file and see where it gets updated. If you're
already a Mimix shop then your files are already journaled. However, if
you are only journalling to Mimix then your journal retention may be
minuscule.

Another option commonly done (as replied by another poster) is to add a
new file (like IIM2) and have new fields in that table.

I would avoid trying something like the following in RPG:
myds ds
bpcsNbrField
CustomAlpha overlay(bpcsNbrField)

The reason being is that the operating system is getting much more picky
about trying to store alphanumeric data into numeric fields. Some people
are running into problems upgrading to 6.1 and 7.1 because of that.

Rob Berendt