Back on 405 CD the first few letters of workstation-id were combined with a
few letters specifying type of work being done - application, steps, work
not yet posted etc. At some future stage in BPCS development, they went to
a different system. Someone here may know what when version that was.

But on 405 CD you need to have the first 7 characters of work station id
unique, because otherwise two sessions different only in the last 2-3
characters, BPCS cannot tell the difference, so people can be messing with
each other's stuff and not knowing it ... big time errors introduced to
BPCS.

This is explained in the member SSALOG00 in the source file BPCSDOC.

Let's suppose a person has a work station named after their department of
the company SALES BUYING or named after their first name and surname SHAROND
ANDREAB ... their second sign on session will have an extra character on the
end BUYING2 SHAROND3 etc. thus the naming of work stations needs to be low
enough # characters, so that the added characters associated with additional
sessions does not take the naming over the thresh-hold of confusing BPCS.

Depending on how client access is setup, we can have more than one character
get added for additional sign on sessions.

On one of our FIXIT menus, I have an option to list anyone who recently
signed on with an invalid workstation-id, which tells me that once again we
had some device connected to our network, by someone using IBM defaults,
ignoring our rules for them to work right for BPCS.

-
Al Mac