Read my other response first. It is a simpler scenario to check out.

A second problem could be related to how your routings and BOM are coded.
We use bubble # in BOM of the reporting routing step to designate where the
raw material is consumed.

Typically our reporting steps are numbered 50 100 150 200 250 etc. where
most of the consumed inventory is at early steps. If labor reports making
step 100, and BOM for the components is at step 100, then inventory is
consumed that must have been needed to do that.

If some component is needed, where the engineer neglected to specify the
operation, then no backflushing until get to final production receipt for
the whole thing. If error in engineering, where the consumption operation
is a non-reporting operation, then the component inventory will NEVER get
backflushed.

In this scenario, the labor reporting clerical operation was done precisely
correctly. The problem is in the engineering for the parts.

There is a way to code the item, to second guess mis-reporting (which we
don't use because it does not work well). Suppose a shop order says we made
500 at step 50, 425 at step 100, 500 at step 150, it would seem reasonable
that we really made 75 more at step 100 and failed to report it, so with the
assumption system turned on in BPCS, we can get that extra 75 automatically
posted. The problem is that if the missing 75 shows up in a later posted
ticket, the assumption is not reversed, and we have duplicated inventory
transactions.

Scrap also factors into this. The way we handle scrap is counter-intuitive
to how BPCS functions. Let's suppose at step 100, we had 75 rejected by
inspection. There is an immediate effort to see if it can be repaired. If
not, an additional 75 is made right away to be replenished. If it can be
repaired, then there may be additional inventory adjustments needed, but the
end result is that there are legitimate reasons why some labor transactions
do not get posted in sequence.

-
Al Mac