Don:

Demand for a part comes two (2) sources. Dependent demand is from
manufacturing. That is, Component is used on a S.O. or it is a Component on
a BOM that has a Planned Order. Independent demand comes from external
sources such as Customer Orders and Forecasts. Regardless, both types of
demand must be planned for. MRP should be providing you with this aggregate
demand so that Planned Orders for purchasing are suggested.

So, is the problem that your company is not using the MRP information?

Or, is it that MRP did not see the service demand? If so, then the problem
may be that the MRP Facility Planning Data (CIC) for the Item is not set to
include both independent and dependent demand. The value should be set to
'S' for "sum" of these demands.

You mentioned that you are viewing an exception report. Is it the BPCS MRP
Exception Report?

The exception report will identify Planned Orders that have messages. MRP
Inquiry (MRP300) is the tool that will easily identify were the requirements
are coming from for an Item Number. So, you would be able to see there
exactly where the demand was coming from.

Does this problem occur frequently? What information, reports, or inquiries
are people looking at who are involved in these situations?

It sounds like you have a procedural or process issue here that needs to be
addressed.

I hope that my comments will be helpful to you.

I would be happy to further discuss this problem with you offline, if you
would like.

Thanks.

Les Mittman

847-858-5235

BPCS Consultant with over 25 years of experience