I agree.

You need to make management aware of the alternatives.
For each one, once implemented, what will they be able to do, and not do,
unless modifications. Ball park how long to implement each (6 months?), and
how much added work load to maintain the different ways.

They not only have to hire more people in IT, but also engineering, other
areas, just to stay current with current work load, if they go certain
routes. That's good for the current economy, but not good for company
profitability.

Example: If you go total separation route, you probably cannot get same
amount of work from existing staff (at both companies combined) of
engineers, customer service, marketing, production, etc. Provide them a
copy of THE MYTHICAL MAN MONTH book to explain that there will be MORE work
for the combined operation than when the companies were separate.

If you go the parallel facility route, here's all the areas where there can
be economy of scale, but it could take a year or more conversion to get
there.

What I have experienced is management apparently having a learning process
of their own, as they go down some path, then determine that it is not a
good match to what they wanted, so they keep returning to me with a new
story of what their goal is.

1. Have separate environment for the other division stuff, and have them
sign onto our 400 from their location, with printer there for their stuff.
Check BPCS license on # users authorized. Start using some BPCS modules we
had not needed before, such as DRP, and add new transaction effects for
moving inventory between the divisions.
2. Put their stuff into our environment with different facility, and the
various reports that go outside of the company (invoices, shipping
paperwork, PO's etc.) to show old name of acquisition, because until end of
fiscal year, continue keep the books separate on the two companies.
3. Revert reports that go outside of the company, so that facility no longer
treated as independent company.

-
Al Mac