I plan to remain on this list, and some computer security ones for a while.
Just because I no longer regular job does not mean I lose interest in what
has consumed me for the last 50 years. It just means I once again have time
for other interests like time travel, and making another effort to shrink my
spare tire.

I do not know what they will offer anyone else.

The company already has several IT consultants that in my opinion do a GREAT
job for very reasonable prices, but management always seems to cry about
those prices. I figure right now they are doing some number crunching
whether to more heavily use those services, or hire a replacement for Al.

My salary has been frozen for like 10 years, since the previous corporate
economic melt down. It has been $ 620 per week, paid biweekly.

I had put out feeler like this a week or so ago on Linked In, to a few 400/i
contacts I have there, supplied the company with a possible replacement
candidate, who I am sure will request a raise in what they pay their IT
person.

When I left Willis Music, after 16 years, they had to hire 3 people to
replace me, which pleased me no end, after all the claiming they had done
that my work load was fair. When I visited them 2 years later for a few
hours on a weekend, they still had 2 of those 3 on the payroll, doing my old
job, plus they had removed several applications, claiming it was too much
work to maintain them, plus they had called in a new outside consultancy to
help. One of the 2 replacements praised me on the documentation I had on
the software, saying it was the best he had ever seen (but even with the
good documentation, the company still could not do my old job with 1
person).

The job I now leaving, after 25 years, is located in Lawrenceville Illinois
which is near Vincennes Indiana, about half way between Terre Haute and
Evansville Indiana, where I now residing. It is real cheap to live there,
but there is nothing to do, unless you have a life on the Internet, or in
our imaginations.

One of my MANY reasons for deciding to retire was unwillingness to have me
telecommute, but now it seems there's a change of heart, to make it easier
for me to work part time to help them out in the transition, beyond my
original planned retirement date.

Everyone suddenly being exceptionally nice, saying what a great employee I
was to work with, even the auditors. One person asks in dismay about help
desk support, with me gone, I say management will have to figure out how I
will report my hours & compensation if I doing random assistance to folks in
trouble, and next thing I know management is eager for that to be arranged.

But there's always a gap between want to do something, and actually get it
implemented.

Fortunately I close to between projects. I just got done with one to list
raw material etc. by what customer it is used for, to illuminate slow moving
and dead stopped moving inventory.

-
Al Mac

Happy I remain this functional: Wake up each morning; roll out of bed; feet
touch floor; I can stand up (sometimes need to push with arms); walk; get to
toilet; all familiar systems do their thing.