Don,

Std BPCS Capacity Generation 'finite' schedules individual Shop Orders but 'infinite' schedules multiple Shop Orders. This means that the WC capacity is used to schedule a specific SO. If the WC capacity is 8 hours/day and the calculation for SO 1 (based on the routing) requires 16 hours, SO 1 will be scheduled over 2 days (call it day 1 and day 2). However, if SO 2 also requires 16 hours, while it will schedule it over 2 days - it could be the same 2 days as SO 1 (i.e. day 1 and day 2). While it's smart enough to know that there are really 4 days required to get these 2 SOs done, it doesn't 'decide' on its own which one comes first and which one comes second - you do that by rescheduling as a result of reviewing std system reports / inquiries or writing some custom queries or reports that help you analyze this info.

There is a program called Finite Forward Scheduling (MRP640) that folks have had some success with. I used it at a client who is on ERP LX with success - can't comment on its success at earlier versions.

Bud North
PHOENIX Business Consulting, Inc.
Cell: 508-572-9701
Email: bnorth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:28:09 -0500
from: "Don Cavaiani" <dcavaiani@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: [BPCS-L] Finite scheduling - 405cd

I understand that the 2 CAPACITY generation programs will each "over schedule" the work centers (infinite planning).

How then would BPCS be considered a FINITE planning system.

What don't I understand?

TIA
Don F. Cavaiani
IT Manager