What I use:
I created a software "package" that runs every weekend to update files (that
we added) with data copied from BPCS, into Relational Data Base Compliant
format to show:
What raw materials are used, that we get from what vendors, on what end
items, that were when last sold, that go to what customers, what quantity
needed (BOM levels multiplied), and how many standard labor hours to make
each end item (disregarding setup move scrap math), with other related
information.

Developing this package, and validating the results, took a while.

This package's results get used for:
Commodity Content (costs fluctuate worse than gasoline) within latest
purchases, receipts, and sales by customer item, sales person, etc.
Raw materials needed by customers for which there is contract pricing that
our customer negotiated with our vendor (multiply BOM needed times sales
quantities to get raw needed by contract)
How much raw materials do we have in stock that is exclusively used by
certain customers
Hazardous content analysis
When we have vendor price increases, what end customer items need to be
requoted
Other applications

The package was originally developed for one purpose. Over the years MANY
additional purposes have latched onto utilizing its results.

I also run this package regeneration & standard cost rollup & some other
stuff on the Thursday nite before an end fiscal month, because come Friday
nite there are sometimes upper managers who want the results NOW, soon after
people get done for Friday, so I am making sure the results are accurate to
all but the last day's engineering changes.

We have what we call TRUE MATERIAL COST set.
This is a copy of ACTUAL for rollup purposes, so that we can see how actual
purchase cost changes impact the bottom line, without waiting on shop
production trickle up to get there.

I have established what I call "Excel friendly" standards, which I include
as a /COPY reminder check list in all programs that are supposed to be
creating 400 reports that ultimately will end up in Excel format.
This is because other standards are used on most other programs.
I get most of these reports to Excel via OPSNAV then the Microsoft "Wizard",
then manually clean up the results.

What I use is dictated by:
We are on 405CD on one of the last AS/400 ever made (model 170).
We have pretty much native 400 tools as they existed 20 years ago.
Other people than me run the network stuff, which crashes every few months,
and when repaired, I usually do not get back stuff that was there before.
I run all the End Fiscal Stuff in my name, need to keep from years ago, so
the number of reports in my name are in the thousands, many with tens of
thousands of pages (10% of our disk space is end fiscal reports without
capability of backing that up), so OPSNAV is exceedingly slow.

-
Al Mac

Happy I remain this functional: Wake up each morning; roll out of bed; feet
touch floor; I can stand up (sometimes need to push with arms); walk; get to
toilet; all familiar systems do their thing.