My department got into the use of the technology to write directly to
Excel from RPG ILE programs in a big way over the last year, with
outstanding results. We had a very enthusiastic programmer on our staff
who wrote a lot of foundation procedures to automate the background
tasks which are necessary in this technology. Thus it became very easy
to adopt this technology when called for in a given application. Under
this methodology the most time-consuming task is now the design of the
spreadsheet; the programming part is almost trivial. The amount of
control it offers is truly mind-boggling. I recently had to design an
application to automate the creation of the "U.S. Customs Invoice" which
our Canadian branches need when they ship to the United States. The
appearance of the final document rivals what a professional printshop
can achieve. One caveat--it is considerably slower than normal
printing, so you wouldn't want to use this for simple tabular reports
with thousands of detail lines. But for complex analytical reports, or
for applications in which you are trying to create legal documents (like
customs documents) which have many different sections of varying font
sizes and complex grid patterns, it is hard to beat.

Best regards,
Bob Hermann, CertainTeed Corporation Insulation Group