From: bpcs-l-bounces+sean.mcgovern=covidien.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Genyphyr Novak
Sent: Fri 15/05/2009 19:06
To: bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BPCS-L] LX source question

Hello,

SSA Global changed the ADK generator to generate RPGLE at V8.2.00 - it was not run through the IBM converter. Prior releases occasionally required the IBM converter to be run over a few programs that had become too large to compile and this may be part of the confusion in some people's memories. I happen to know that the team doing this work on 8.2 had lobbied for even further improvements and changes to the generator, but management was not allowing enough programming resources to make all the improvements that the team thought would be possible and which would benefit the code base in time for the release date. In 8.3 some of these further improvements came to fruition.

The V8.3.0 ADK generator, ironically, is the best ADK generator that ever came out providing much cleaner and happier ILE RPG code ... which the new non-iSeries based upper management team at the then SSA Global promptly sunset after the ERP LX 'early adopter' release (without providing any replacement utility, requiring customers and internal developers to then modify the generated ILE RPG code by hand thereafter ... unless the program is entirely new). As Debasish mentioned, entirely new programs are mostly hand coded ILE RPG.

There is use of service programs in some cases (new utility programs are written as service programs and the compile commands automatically include the list of service programs that might need to be bound when you are compiling). If you are changing the code yourself and using Webtop, you need to also run the Weblication after the coding, and there are certain coding and naming rules and conventions which cannot be broken or the Weblication will not work.

In any case, at V8.2.00 all application sets were regenerated using the new engine to deliver the release. I also believe anyone with support is entitled to get the V8.3 generator if you want it for your own internal use or development, but Infor is not using it to maintain anything except the database definitions. The 8.3 generator eliminated a lot of the 'extra code' that AS/SET is famous for outputting but also contains support for DBCS which may or may not be desirable depending upon your installation.

If anyone has complex questions about implementing multi languages in the ERP LX release (or older releases) feel free to contact me for assistance. I was the system architect who brainstormed and designed the multi language changes which were implemented in the latest release of ERP LX, as well as in the past being on the teams who made the changes to the ADK generator for ILE, on the team that designed the new licensing system and also on the team which designed the Client/Server interfaces on older releases. I also am pretty spiffy at performance tuning and trouble shooting general iSeries system issues or BPCS mysteries. I am no longer with Infor and am based in France, near Geneva Switzerland.

Thanks,

Genyphyr Novak
iSeries technical consultant
Chamonix France
+33 662 15 02 02
------------------------------

message: 2
date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:25:46 -0400
from: rob@xxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: [BPCS-L] LX source question.

From others I was under the impression that they took the AS/SET generated
stuff and ran CVTRPGSRC against it and called it RPGLE. You can often
spot the stench if you see them take an external field name and rename it
in D specs (I specs in RPG/400) from a 7-10 character field name down to a
6 character name like this
D MY6CHR E EXTFLD(MY10CHARFD)
I* MY10CHARFD MY6CHR
Heck, AS/SET might have even made that a modification to their
generator. Provided you set a flag somewhere to generate RPGLE and not
RPG400.

But, we're getting into programming style and that's going to bore most of
the nonprogrammers on this list.

They never generated RPG II. Like me, you're lucky enough to have been
generating RPGLE for so long you've forgotten how bad RPG/400 was.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073