From: bpcs-l-bounces+dsweeney=phoenixbcinc.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bpcs-l-bounces+dsweeney=phoenixbcinc.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:22 PM
To: BPCS ERP System
Subject: Re: [BPCS-L] No planned production order for certain items

I believe that all parent parts should be master scheduled.

I have a query/400 to list any cases of customer orders on items that
are
not master scheduled. I bring this to the attention of customer service
&
factory leadership to ask if it is intentional that we want MRP to
ignore
these requirements.

Apparently we have a tiny volume of parts where something is going on
partially outside of BPCS, such as first time sample pilots.

So one issue is confusion by some people which end items should be
exception
to master scheduled, who where in process of setup new item do this.

We have some end items with safety stock, because customer can call with

little warning and want some quanity immediatedly. We ship them from
the
safety stcck, then MRP gets us to replenish it. Problem there is
company
business can evolve, their need for some parts drops off their schedule,
but
we still have safety stock.

Al Macintyre
on 405 CD

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:50:28 -0500, Carlson, Christopher W. wrote
Thanks for the response, Al.

One thing you mentioned caught my eye. Should *all* parent parts be
MPS items? This is a distinction that has confused me from the
outset.

We have a finished good (let's call it part A), which is made up of
several components. One of these components (part B) is made from
yet another material that we manufacture (part C). As things stand,
part A is MPS (or so I believe--the Master Scheduled flag in MRP140
is 'M') while parts B and C are not (the Master Scheduled flag is
'N').

Do I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the use of this field?

--- Chris