We have a similar situation.

The people in Assembly are organized into teams around what we call
a "wheel" where maybe 10 people each doing their thing on a panel that comes
around slowly, combining maybe 20 sub-components into a combined upper level
part.

The person who is setting up a wheel to do some part, that person wants to
be sure that we have everything feady ... they key in the shop order for the
part to be assembled. This links to the FMA file of that shop order, which
lists all the compoenent items going into that part, for which we can get at
the on-hand of those componennts in the right warehouse, and for the
components where the on-hand is insufficient, access any open shop order to
make that component, as identified by the FSO file, then bring up details on
that shop order. The leader of the assembly operation can then use that to
track down how soon we will be done with those shop orders, or select some
other part to assemble soon.

We have a CL to put queries/400 on a menu ... you do not have to give people
command line authority to run a query/400 definition.

Here's how our query combines files FMA FSO IIM FOD in 405CD

Field Test Field
MPROD EQ IPROD
MORD EQ SORD
MPROD EQ ODPRD

Here's corporate IIM on-hand, but you could go after relevant warehouse
OH iADJ+iRCT+iOPB-iISS

Here's what is still to be made on the lower level parts
NEEDED mqreq- mqiss

Here are the fields selected for the query/400 inquiry
The files are 1.FMA 2.FSO 3.IIM 4.FOD

Field
T01.MORD
T02.SPROD
T01.MPROD
T03.IDESC
NEEDED
QP
OH
T04.OORD
T04.OQTY
T04.OOPNO
T04.OOPDS
T04.ODEPT
T04.OQTYP

Selection criteria

AND/OR Field Test Value (Field, Number,
SPROD EQ 'Enter Part Number'
AND SID NE 'SZ'
AND NEEDED GT OH
AND ODID EQ 'OD'

Hope this gets you a chunk of the way to a solution.

As for rescheduling ... when shop orders are released, they get a planning
date based on time of launching. If at a later date, you change the upper
level due date & rerun MRP, it recalculates MRP date only one level down, so
we have reports listing shop orders where the MRP recalculated date says to
do something sooner, later, cancel, whatever, so that people then have the
option of going down one level & doing maintenance to agree with the MRP
advice, or removing from shop floor those orders that MRP says we do not
need any more.

All orders below customer orders, such as purchase orders, have the original
date we planned, or changed to, and the MRP recalculated date based on other
stuff going on in the system. We have date math, in which we are not
interested in MRP changes of only a day or two, only when the rescheduling
is significant.

Al Macintyre
who uses Query/400 a lot because most managers & users want new stuff setup
yesterday & are quite happy to get quick & dirty, irrespective of
performance & other issues

Don Cavaiani wrote
Anyone dealt with this issue:

The system generates a shop order for a Manufactured (welded)
assembly. At the same time, it also generates say 15 other shop
orders for the fabrication of the manufactured components which GO
INTO the this upper level (welded) assembly.

Now, for whatever reason - say a shortage of a purchased component,
the scheduler wants to "back-off" the scheduled due date of the
(welded) assembly.

If this is done via the system, then MAYBE it reschedules all of the
Shop Orders for all of the manufactured components as well??

But, let's say the scheduler just wants to immediately pull that
(welded) Assembly out of the actual production pipeline, along with
all of the shop orders for all of the manufactured parts as well.

Is there anyone who has a developed a query or some other method of
LINKING all of the 15 manufactured parts shop orders to the (welded)
assembly shop order?

Seems like it would not be that difficult?

Thanks,
Don C.

Don F. Cavaiani
IT Manager
Amerequip Corp.
920-894-7063

"It's amazing what you can accomplish if you don't care who gets the
credit." Harry S. Truman