First you need to tell this list what version of BPCS and what version of Operating Sustem AS/400/iSeries/System/i is involved, because there has been significant evolution. Some replies valid only for a range of versions.

It would also help to know which applications involved. For example, run the program SYS800 at least through the screen that identifies list of applications implemented at the company. SYS800 contains the largest single collection of business rules that govern how a version of BPCS functions. Not all, there are also lots of business rules in the General Ledger interface, Inventory Transaction Effects, and BPCS Security.

It might also help to know about modifications the installation has had, that add to the data base over & above vanilla BPCS.

There are classes in this stuff, from multiple different providers. There are manuals that can be purchased for a few hundred dollars each, from 3rd party places. If the company is still on Infor tech support, there is a wealth of information on the SSA tech support site. IBM has a Red Book specific to BPCS.

If you get manuals that are version specific, you can rapidly identify what files, not defined there, must be associated with modifications.

There are existing conversion tools on the market, from SSA and 3rd party places, to help with converting some BPCS data. Most of the tools, but not all, are specific to migrating BPCS from one version to another, and to copy selected BPCS data through other forms, such as for EDI, data collection, or web facing. Could be some of these tools already have much of what you need.

See if they have BPCSDOC file on-line, and if so, look at member SSALOG00 which is a logic guide, including naming conventions for the files, fields, and other objects. BPCS "data base" is not just file/tables. BPCSDOC (on my version of BPCS) is a source code file, in which each member is a separate document.

BPCSDOC, and other info sources, can guide you to which programs manage master file maintenance, and where source code for help text is stored, which includes a wealth of information on the function of each field in each file, but not as good as getting one of the real manuals, that is specific to data base structure ... many manuals are specific to using BPCS as it is designed to be used, not providing the type of info you are looking for.

See if they have the application XRF operational, which can get at a cross-index of how the files are used, among other things.

There are occasional BPCS user conferences around the world, not as many as in years past. Depending on your schedule, it may be worth you attending, although taking formal BPCS classes, and boning up on real manuals, would probably be better utilization of your time.

Years ago, when I had much more leisure time than I now have, I created a web site with relevant info ... many links no longer any good, but the outfits named are still out there ... can be located via any search engine.
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html
-
Al Macintyre
20 year veteran of messing with BPCS
40 year veteran of working on IBM midrange

Hello! I am a contract Business/Systems Analyst who has been called upon to analyze data requirements of an Oracle installation, and identify how the tables/data elements in an existing BPCS database can best be mapped for importation into Oracle. I need to extract the BPCS data as flat files. Any BPCS Admin. documentation the client ever had is long gone.

Can anyone suggest how/where I might learn the basics of BPCS' database structure, table names, relationships, etc.?

Thanks so much!