To: "BPCS ERP System" <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: [BPCS-L] Unsafety $ Stock

Good concept

(a) How does it know the item just expired?

(Not knowing is part of our problem)

Our people are constantly scrambling to meet customer needs for changed
dates quantities models etc. so the fact that some repetitive item has
fallen off the radar screen is just not noticed. By the time we discover
that we have $ XXX,XXX inventory tied up to meet the requirements that fell
off the radar screen, it is too late to ask the customer to pretty please
bail us out financially.

(b) Permission needed to forecast or safety stock ... did you modify to
block people from keying in that info, or is it just erased if the
permission is not in the stock status field?

I think the latter is better for us ... for new items there's like a check
list of stuff that needs to be done, can be any sequence provided you caught
up before the weekend update runs.

Daniel Warthold wrote
I had setup a special temporary stock status code attached to items.
This temporary stock status code enabled entry of sales forecasts
and safety stocks. There was an expiration date ( allowed to be no
more than 12 months out) set on the items having this special stock
status. A batch program executed at least once a month read the
records in the file, and for every item that had just expired, the
special stock status was changed to a lowered stock status (
obsolete or made to order only kind of status), the safety stock was
cancelled to zero, and the remaining forecasts were canceled to zero
as well. This stopped automatic reordering of the expired items. A
report listed the items that had expired, with sales, on hand
quantities, and usage history, for analysis.

The concept here is instead of having items on permanent safety
stocks, give them a temporary status which would automatically
expire unless the sales/ planning would carefully look after those,
aanalyze, and renew the status, after intelligent consideration.

Good luck !
Daniel Warthold

----- Original Message ----- From: "lwl" <lwl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>