We are using ERPLX.

Thanks and regards,

Poeman.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Al Mac Wheel" <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "BPCS ERP System" <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 25-Feb-08 18:41
Subject: Re: [BPCS-L] Difference in closing balances

Here are several things you might consider, or review.

* If anything is posted using a prior fiscal period date, it updates the
prior fiscal totals not the current period. We found this because
accounting was regularly running a program that multiplies opening balance
times cost, then asked how come the opening balance of inventory can change
in the middle of the month. With General Ledger if something posted to a
prior year, that is not reflected in current year totals, until you run
another preliminary year end close. If something is posted in one fiscal
period, using date of a later fiscal period, there's no guarantee it will
get posted correctly. Depending on how stuff gets posted to GL, you could
have a mountain of unposted detail. Look at RMAs & Voids for example.

* Expected cost comes from the cost AT THE TIME for the item. If later
that cost is updated, that does not affect the expected cost, because BPCS
cascades information from "master" or "reference" values to copies in other
files, at the time of creation of records, where the copied records do not
reflect the latest corrected master values. People need to know that when
they update one place, what other places also need updating.

* There are transaction effects which can update inventory without updating
General Ledger. On our version we can INV / 15 / INV355 then pick a
transaction then scroll through them all, with our eyes glued to the bottom
of screen for the GL rules, or to middle of screen for cost rules ...
warning ... you can try to fix the rules, but some BPCS software ignores
the rules.

* How the latest cost gets into parent items, uses what I call a "trickle
up" approach, with emphasis on "trickle" slowly, much more slowly than the
needs of modern business. It depends on how your BOM is structured, and
how you report your labor & inventory WIP, and how long shop orders remain
open, and how they are closed. There's ways to do this such that your
inventory is correct, but the costs never trickle up.

* If you are using facility costing, and you have activity with items whose
cost is null in the right facility (no CMF record) some reports will use
value of some other facility via global costing, vastly incorrectly. I
fight this several ways, one of which is to run a no-match listing of items
with null costs that have activity in MRP & other places.

* PUR210 is an extremely misleading report. It assumes that we cannot pay
for something we did not receive, and that costs are managed
consistently. The reality is that with BPCS it is possible to pay for
inventory never received & you will never know it from the vanilla PUR
reports. If an item gets correctly costed after the PO is received, or
after the A/P vendor invoice comes in, I guarantee you that your General
Ledger will be out of balance.

It would help imensely on this discussion list if you told people your BPCS
version.
I work with 405 CD.

Hi All,

I have stayed with this difference (not constant) for a long time and I do
not have a solution to it.

If I pick the inventory (stock items) opening balance for a particular day
and add all the values for the transactions for that day to it, the value
you get is not the same as stock valuation for that day. We use actual
cost to value our stocks and also issue items with the actual cost but
receive items with the expected price.

What should I do to get rid of this difference?

Regards,

Poeman.