It is a fact of our manufacture to customer orders life that some customers will alter what they want when, that we will have unexpected problems with our supply chain, and inaccuracies to drive inventory errors. This leads to a process of continuous improvement, figuring out how to do a better job of reducing our past due, and needs for expediting.

Fortunately BPCS stores in Purchase Orders and Shop Orders a suggested reschedule date when MRP thinks we need something on a date other than that associated with orginal release, leaving that field zero when MRP agrees with the planned date in our orders. We are then able to run reports where that MRP date is populated (all 9's means MRP thinks the order should be cancelled). We can split the reports into lists of those orders MRP thinks we should pull up (we usually try to) and those where MRP thinks we should take more time (we decide on case by case basis).

The input of our customer orders is usually handled by clerical people who are real good at getting the job done fast with a high volume of customer input, but it is not really practical for them to be noticing individual orders that may violate some company policies, like lead time violation, or not using the prices we quoted the customers.

We made a modification to INV300 main screen to insert information on the first few price breaks from ESP file, so that our people can tell when list price is not the only game in town, and know for which items they need to go to the price break inquiry that we have setup.

We also have a 3rd party BPCS Customer Order change history package, which can be used to identify customer orders that got changed where the due dates are inside the lead times for the components effected, but we most often use it to catch other problems like right now there are customer orders going in that ought to be dated January & February 2008 that are getting 2007 in error, which can lead to MRP ignoring past due on entry, until we spot and fix these.

When we send POs to vendors we request a fax reply within 24 hours whether they can supply what we ask for at the price we have in our system, on the date we we request ... this fax confirmation goes into our paper records. When the fax comes back with some changes, we review & update our files accordingly. Sometimes what the vendor says means there will be a problem, which we then have to deal with.

We have made modifications making it possible to link between the raw material ordered from what vendor, if we cannot get it in when MRP says we need it, to see what customer orders will be adversely effected. In other words, because of problem of vendor meeting our requested schedule, what customer orders are blocked by this.

Another useful piece of data in BPCS is all the different dates in the Purchase Orders. We are able to do date math on them to calculate # days vendors are actually taking to deliver parts to us, which needs to be factored into invoices that charged us freight expediting. When there was no freight expediting, the date math is then a good reflection of how many days it takes for that vendor to deliver those parts. We then compare that with lead time days in the item master to list those items where the lead time needs to be corrected to give better info to MRP the next time we need that part.

At the present time we are drowning in instances of recent purchases whose delivery time disagreed with lead times, so we really need a way to identify raw materials that will be needed soon, but have not yet hit MRP call for POs because lead time is like 60 days, but should be like 90 days, based on past history.

The General Ledger Journal record of Payables for PO's contains the Vendor id, and Vendor Invoice. The Payable detail records on Vendor Invoice contains the PO#, so we are then able to identify for which POs we had expedited freight expenses.

Al Macintyre
BPCS/400 program modifier, data mining forensics, garbage data janitor
using QUERY/400 lots because it is fastest way to implement new ways of viewing BPCS data

Hi All,

I was wondering how other companies handle this situation. We run MRP and create purchase orders two months before the date the items are due for production.

When we have a major Schedule Change, Supply Chain would like to update all of the purchase orders by Lot with the new scheduled dates.

So we have a custom program that calculates the difference of the old request date in the Customer Order file and the New Schedule date they enter on the screen. Then when it calculates the number of working dates between those two dates it adds or subtracts that from the purchase orders due & vendor delivery dates. Then they go into Customer Order and update the request date to the new date but we are thinking about putting logic in our Delivery Date Change by Lot program. Not sure if that is a good idea?

So I'm just wondering how other companies using BPCS handle Schedule chang to Purchase Orders and Customer Orders.

Thanks in Advance.