Warning: There is stuff going on in MRP that can be difficult for some people to figure out ... for example, some items are on MRP order because of minimum safety stock, which is effectively invisible on MRP300 pegging ...another example is effectivity dates vs. when orders originally into the system ... if past due on arrival, MRP might not plan it. BPCS sometimes does a poor job with visibility of dead orders that are affecting MRP. BPCS supports negative allocations, but does a poor job managing the consequences.

We are on 405 CD ... the report has both been used intermittently, and heavily modified. I am not familiar with all the special cases it supports, and it has been many months since I studied the logic.

We never bought AS/Set, so I am faced with trying to modify the RPG that it generated. This is practical in some applications, impractical in others.

We use phantoms exclusively as textual aids.
If you were to look at our BOM for end customer parts, you would see
* a bunch of EC item #s ... these are Engineering Changes which contain information or a repository of textual explanation of what happened, and how advanced this part is in the revision change numbering system
* an occasional MM item # ... these are molds and other factory tooling that needs to be inserted in molding or other machines at a stage of production. An MM item # does not get "used up"
** both EC and MM are non-inventory phantom item classes ... as children in BOM of parent parts, they have no grandchildren, they are at the very bottom of the BOM hierarchy

Currently it has been many months since MRP250 was used, because of management pressure to reduce dependency on reports that have excessive pages of green bar paper consumption. In my opinion, the result can be excessive additional time for production control personnel to do their job. This is a pendulum ... later complaints about manual time taken to do things, that the computer theoretically can do for us will bring some reports back into popular use. The pendulum swings each way every few years. This is also compounded by some people wanting stuff on reports that is not in our system to provide.

In general our modifications seek
* To reduce the number of different places our employees have to go look ... in vanilla BPCS you get info from one report, go look up inquiry bunch of other places ... we try to update original report with as much as is practical that our people will need, so not have to dig elsewhere, or do additional steps.
* To improve clarity and organization of data on report to improve readability, navigation, reduce ambiguity
* To provide access to alternate theories of what the relevant facts are
* To avoid wasting paper

Our modifications included
* The report is now MRP252 SQLRPG
* Items shown on the report as RELEASABLE new orders ... we also show on-hand currently for those items
* We show the status of existing shop orders out there on the same items now needed ... this is because sometimes it makes more sense to increase existing order quantitites than release new orders. There's additional number crunching to show expected addition to on-hand if the current existing orders are completed, vs. what additional quantity is really needed by the higher MRP demands. (exclude closed shop orders from the equation)
* We attempt to identify for what customers the work is being done ... this is because we make to customer order, final factory assembly areas organized by types of customer end products. However we have lacked consistency in how parts are identified as to what customers they are made for.
* The arrangement of data on the report has been altered to enhance user-friendliness & at the same time avoid any appearance of wasting paper.
* Some values are bold printed to aid report navigation and highligh fields most heavily used
* In a merger with another company, we got a batch of items with no routings ... so when those items show up on this report, we print a warning that they cannot be manufactured the normal way, due to the missing routings.

Hello,

We are curently on BPCS 8.2.01.

Does anyone use report "MRP250D - Releasable Orders Report"
We can not explain some of the results on the report.

Questions :
- Is there anyone in the field using this report and able to explain the
exact functionality or how it is build up ?
- Can the report be used with multiple level BOM with phantoms?

Regards,

Peter Heeren
Thetford BV

Please note: This e-mail / fax is confidential and may also be privileged.
Please notify us immediately if you are not the intended recipient. You
should not copy it, forward it or use it for any purpose or disclose the
contents to any person.
For details of our international offices please visit our website:
http://www.thetford.eu
Thetford B.V. is statutorily based in Etten-Leur, Netherlands. Chamber of
Commerce West-Brabant registration number 20037470.